Life coaching has advanced the lives of many. It has professionally provided an outlet that is innovative, powerful, and uplifting to the lives of many. Black Life coaches themselves have experienced great success, freedom, and opportunity from the profession. Clients have been introduced to new solution focused partnerships that have resulted in change and new beginnings.
Specifically, the advancement that African Americans have made in the Life Coaching Profession is worth the discussion. There are a lot of great positive inspirational Black Life Coaches that desire to change the world. They are professionals in consulting, analytics, broadcast journalism, and other fields. They have taken the career knowledge that they have gained to coach people into new directions. Black Life Coaches have created their own professional organizations, become best-selling authors, speak at engagements across the globe, and provided insight and support too many.
Life coaching is about the client. The coach reminds you of your strengths, builds your confidence, provides feedback, teaches you new skills and holds you accountable for your behavior and thoughts. The focus is on positive change. With that being said, I would like to highlight 10 very notable Black Life Coaches.
- Tony Gaskins- Speaker, Author, Coach
- He is one of the most sought-after coaches in the USA. He speaks on topics of love, business, success and personal-development. Tony is an author of multiple books and a professional life coach by day, coaching people from all walks of life all around the globe. He is also a TV & film producer, ghostwriter and an author/business/social media consultant. He believes that as we live, we should teach. This philosophy urged him to create an internet-based school for people who desire to learn about love and relationships, entrepreneurship or becoming a life coach. He also organizes and hosts retreats for those who need to learn, get away, have a great time, and bring positive energy into their lives.
- Iyanla Vanzant Life Coach-TV Personality-Author
- Iyanla is the Founder and Director of Inner Visions Institute of Spiritual Development. Today, Iyanla is the host of Iyanla: Fix My Life, the number one reality show on the OWN network, produced by Harpo Studios. She is a prolific author, motivational speaker, talk show host and living testament to acting through faith. Iyanla goes behind closed doors and deep inside people’s lives for emotionally, riveting conversations where she applies spiritual practices to bring forth inner peace and healing. Iyanla Vanzant graduated Summa Cum Laude and attended the City University of New York Law School at Queens College. Iyanla Vanzant travels globally delivering her teachings and message of hope to many.
- Bishop T. D. Jakes-Film Producer, Faith Leader, Coach
- Faith leader- Ministerial visionary, entrepreneur, altruistic philanthropist, and spiritual shepherd to millions around the globe, Bishop Thomas Dexter (T.D.) Jakes, Sr., founded Greater Emmanuel Temple of Faith. Bishop Jakes has been a source of spiritual advice on programs such as: Oprah, CNN’s People in the News, Larry King Live, CBN’s Turning Point International, and America’s Black Forum. He has also been featured in Ebony magazines and frequently appears in Jet magazine. Bishop T.D. Jakes currently has released multiple movies/documentaries that can be found on Netflix.
- Towanna Freeman-Speaker, Media Personality, Coach
- Freeman is a successful management consultant, certified coach and advocate for young women based in Washington, DC. She is the founder of the Black Life Coaches Network. Freeman conducts workshops and conferences where she imparts a life-changing message that presents hope and inspiration. She has co-authored an award winning book and uses her expertise helping businesses shape corporate strategies that produce positive bottom line impact. Towanna Freeman is a trusted partner and problem solver for many clients tackling morale, employee retention, employee engagement, training and development in today’s corporate America.
- Alena Edmondson- Entrepreneurial Coach
- Founder of the Atlanta-based Abundant Life Coaching, she comes to the rescue of struggling business owner. In addition to helping the novice business owner plan, launch, run, and expand their businesses, Edmondson, a certified life coach, sees much of her clients coming from established business owners who have for one reason or another find themselves struggling to find success. “I help business people identify anything they feel is missing and that may be holding them back.
- Sophia Jackson Casey-Speaker, Media Personality, Coach
- Sophia Jackson Casey, founder of Nia Driven Coaching, is an affiliate life coach of Accomplishment Coaching – an ICF’s top accredited coaching organizations and host of The Coach Casey Show. Sophia worked as an analyst at The White House, a federal government senior executive, program analyst and as an educator. She is affectionately called “Coach Casey” and specializes in empowering people to achieve success in their professional and personal lives. The company name, Nia Driven Coaching, was inspired by the Swahili word and fifth principle of Kwanzaa. Nia is rooted in the belief that all humans are inherently great and desire to lead a purpose-driven life.
- Doreen Rainey-Vice President, Operations, Act Like A Success | A Steve Harvey Company
- Doreen is driven to help people define success for themselves and have the guts to go after it. She facilitate online courses, private coaching and transforming live events. Her programs teach practical, implementable strategies to accelerate goal achievement. With over 17 years of corporate HR experience, she also lends her expertise in performance management, effective communication skills, and managing conflict to corporations and organizations through management training, leadership development and effective communication initiatives. Doreen received her undergraduate degree from Spelman College, her M.S. in Conflict Negotiation and Conflict and her coaching certificate from Coaches Training Institute. She is currently, the Founder and CEO of the RADICAL Success Institute and the Vice President, Operations, Act Like A Success, A Steve Harvey Company.
- Stephen Pierce- Online Market Coach
- Stephen Pierce is an online market coach. He is also a well sought after motivational speaker. His talks leave a lasting impact on people who listen to him. His started his first internet business and within the first year was earning $500,000. Since then he’s earned millions of dollars on the internet. He hung out with the wrong crowd as a kid in DC and ended up with a bullet in his leg. Today, Stephen is an active trainer, blogger, speaker and internet guru, teaching people how to reach their dreams.
- Lavon Lawrence-Mental Fitness Trainer
- Lavon Lawrence, Mental Fitness Trainer & Consultant for Dynamic Mental Fitness Training & author/designer of The NEURO-SCULPTING! He currently resides in Jacksonville, FL and is a former air-traffic controller for the Navy. His products enhance cognitive and personal development.
- Tia Brown –Licensed Professional Therapist, Life Coach
- Tia Brown is featured on Madame Noire. S. Tia Brown has a wealth of tips and tricks to help you make personal improvements. She is an entertainment and lifestyle journalist. Her journalism career gave her a national platform to talk about issues. She has talked about everyone from Anna Nicole Smith to Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, and Alicia Keys. When I dished on celebs I always kept it honest, and helpful.
As the founder of Myers Life Coaching, my goal is to empower my clients to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. I received a degree in Psychology from Rutgers University and completed my Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Doctorate degree in Business Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. My goal is to pursue my biggest passions: the observation of life through another person’s perspective, and the practice of questioning life’s boundaries and assumptions.